In my personal development experience, I have found that there are benefits which can be gained both from working on your own using neuro-linguistic programming instruments (for solving problems or reaching certain objectives), and from observing from the outside, and learning by demonstration and possibly from mistakes in applying certain techniques.
For me, the main goal of any training I participate in is to become familiar with new processes that I can later use with me and my clients. Most often, after participating in a training session where certain skills are to be practiced, we are tempted to leave practice for later, if required, without giving importance to a discipline related to the constant training of skills and learning new techniques. How many techniques did you practice with yourself and with other clients from what you learned in a formation/certification in NLP, time-line therapy, social panorama, psychodrama, sociodrama, coaching, counseling or consulting?
That’s why, using the multitude of free theoretical descriptions that are available for NLP procedures and can be practiced, I intend to find partners for an interesting practical journey into skill training. Actually, I have already been doing so since 2016. In 2 years and a half, I have practiced under observation more than 40 different techniques, with myself, adding important resources to my toolkit as a consultant and changing my life and the lives of my clients.
The type of techniques that I intend to work on during this practice are new, and I haven’t worked on them before, or I have only worked on them once, some time ago, and I would like to get more familiar with them.
The frequency of the Skype sessions for this purpose would be once every 2 weeks, for an observation session which is expected to last 1-2 hours (depending on the complexity of the technique and the content).
If you are willing to be my partner in this journey, it is important for us to agree on the fact that neither of us has any material or financial claims, or owes in any way to the other for this particular collaboration – it is something voluntary, set with a certain frequency, and upon a jointly agreed date, which can be interrupted by either of us at any time, without any complaint, which implies discretion and confidentiality (i.e. I expect you not to share with other persons the personal content that we have worked on using these techniques).
The main goal for the observer is that by following the process that I am working with myself as both a consultant and a client, (s)he would carefully take note of critical differences in the non-verbal and paraverbal language, possible mistakes in relation to the procedure, and give improvement suggestions regarding the use of the technique in the future.
Potential benefits for me resulting from this activity:
– I learn to better use some techniques which, after I successfully apply them once or twice, I can later apply in consultancy, coaching, mentoring or training with my clients for a fee.
– I benefit from outside objective opinion, a perspective that I haven’t thought of, which I cannot benefit from if I simply recorded myself, and watched the recording later – this accelerates my learning process
– I solve certain personal matters
Potential benefits for you, the observer:
– you observe, by demonstration, how to use certain techniques which can also be of interest to you, and we can discuss the experience of practicing them immediately after the exercise
– you train your abilities to be an observer of the verbal and non-verbal behaviors
– you have a contribution to my personal development
– you can have insights related to certain topics whose content could be interesting/familiar
– sometimes, it can be fun (depending on the content or development)
What do you think? Would you be available for approx. 1-2 hours every 2 weeks on an average to work in this respect if we set it in good time?
Your tasks as an observer:
– stop potential auditive or visually disturbing factors during our session
– remain silent as soon as the process has started
– follow the procedure process
– write down what you find to be interesting
– share sensations after the process has completely finished (non-verbal, paraverbal, verbal observations, patterns, differences, etc.)
– keep the confidentiality of the discussed content
Basic requirements for the observer:
passion and interest in personal development
active listening skills
body language observing knowledge
contrastive analysis skills
If you feel interested, please send me a mail at Marcus.Victor.Grant [at] gmail [dot] com, and let’s have a meeting on Skype to discuss it!
Copyright text © Marcus Victor Grant, 2017-present. Translated from Romanian by Cristiana Brezeanu