Here are a few reasons why many of those who are employed yearn for the free-lancer status.
- The flexibility of the schedule. You are the one who sets the time during which you are available for your clients, and usually, that means pretty much all the time, but it also means that you don’t have a hard-and-fast schedule, and if you have to leave the city (or travel abroad), solve various issues with certain institutions, or take part in religious celebrations, etc. on weekdays, you can easily do it, of course with certain planning in advance.
- You get to find out how much others are willing to pay for an hour of your professional time, which is certainly more than the value given by a salary for a fixed schedule.
- Your life will become much more interesting by means of the people you meet who will bring projects and challenges into your life. Practically, you will be the one defining your social circle, with whom, how long, how and why you spend your time. You may accept or refuse clients, collaborators, providers.
- You make the rules and clients pay you to follow them. You are not forced to put up with anybody’s nonsense. The results of your work are the results of your standards.
- Nobody can fire you. You work for yourself and for your clients for as long as you can and want to.
- You get to find out how high your morale and self-confidence are when you see that your cashing fluctuates from one month to another and you get to train your determination regarding savings and investments because there will definitely be times during the year when you earn less.
- You can discover a totally different world: you can see how easily you can move through the city when everybody is at work, you get to meet entrepreneurs and other freelancers who are more available on weekdays, you have access to numerous free or cheap services which are available only Mondays to Fridays from 9-17.
- You start discovering how Saturday is the most precious day if (some of) your clients are working for a fixed salary. It will also most likely become your busiest day.
- You can eventually make your dreams come true and use your latent talents.
- You can take care of your family more easily if you have children to stay at home with.
All of these, together with the discipline that you impose yourself in order to make things move forward, are the rewards that you get in exchange for the success of being independent in the line of your work. What are the productive habits of a freelancer?
Text Copyright © Marcus Victor Grant 2015-present. Translation by Cristiana Brezeanu of the article “10 motive ca să fii liber-profesionist“previously published in Romanian in January 2016 on Economia Online. Text Copyright © Marcus Victor Grant, all rights reserved.
The materials on this blog are subject to this disclaimer.