As I mentioned talking to Bogdan Enoiu a week ago at BC Conferences, I strongly recommend Alexandru Solomon’s documentary on “Kapitalism”, now in Romanian theaters all around the country.
The conclusion, in the end, is that the future generations will pay the bill for all the harm done by greedy Romanians, efficient bankers and corrupt,incompetent, stealing Government.
So, I have gathered a list of things that NONE of the young idealist Romanian students can do. Just 10. You may contribute to the list.
1. This generation cannot pay Romania’s external debt. Not even the export getting higher than the import wouldn’t make a real difference;
2. This generation cannot unchain Romania from IMF (which by the way is not in any real condition to help the economies [ro,php]), especially considering the most part of the money went to banks, and to pay salary and pension for a few months;
3. This generation cannot change the cultural Romanian characteristics which have brought the country down;
4. This generation cannot change the downfall of the real estate market, neither the rate of unpayable bank debts [ro, php]. Sewing the banks for their unfair contracts will not effectively affect the real problem;
5. This generation cannot seriously influence the rate of real unemployment, neither can they compensate for all the Romanians not working. Measures for that should have been taken 15-20 years ago;
6. This generation cannot change the disastrous demographics of Romania [ro, php] (just take a look at the stupid comments made to this article 2 years ago…), and the Church is not helping – as it happened in Georgia, for example;
7. This generation cannot fix the waging and social securities un-system [ro, html]. Compared to other systems – Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, for approximately the same amount of taxes you the contributors benefit in not having to worry about tomorrow, effectively;
8. This generation cannot change the laws. Changing one or two is not changing the whole system which doesn’t work;
9. This generation cannot change the situation of small enterprises. I’ve been to all sorts of entrepreneurship schools and events during the last year. I know the kind of people who participate there. There are too few to make a difference. Connected to this, the young enthusiastic Romanian students can’t change the tax level [ro, blog] As an answer to Dyutza’s question, the air tax is possible to be introduced.
10. This generation cannot change the bankruptcy of the health system.
If you want to be an idealist, go do that in another country, where your intentions might really make a difference. Otherwise, chances are, you’re merely supporting your ego, believing in nothing else than inertia in the middle of a downward spiral never even getting the chance of a rock-bottom moment that Germany got in the second world war.
Later edit:it’s interesting to note in retrospective, on a personal level, that even though I came to these conclusions in 2010, it took me until 2018 to finally completely implement them, as I wrote here. And it’s interesting that 10 years later one can say the same things and even worse about Romania.
Text Copyright © Marcus Victor Grant, 2010-present